Monday, October 11, 2010

DUCK FOOTBALL Season begins…

Sooo excited for Duck Football this fall. This year I get to share season tickets with my brother Craig! I am thrilled to be heading to Autzen Stadium for every home game! Well, every game except one…though Ammon bought me a standing room only ticket for the Stanford game…so I get to go to that one too! Great husband!

013

First Game of the season against New Mexico!

015

I have realized over the years that I am kind of fanatical about the Ducks. Though this honestly this didn’t even begin till I married into the Farris family (1997) . The majority of Ammon’s family lives in Eugene and his two sisters attended the University of Oregon. My sister eventually attended Uof O as well. I guess I was destined to be a Duck!

I wear green and yellow every Friday during football season for “spirit day,” in addition to each game day!  And then, there are days during the week that I just enjoy throwing on my comfy Duck clothes.  I actually feel I look pretty good in green…so it works out well.

Clothing aside, I realize that my fanatical nature comes from a deep rooted sense of loyalty.  A strong personality trait that creeps into a “crazy” state of being when I get involved or interested in something and I seem to end up taking it to the next level.

Let’s see…what have been other areas that my sense of loyalty has led me to being a little “crazy?”  As a child,  I read series of books and once I found an author I liked I always read every book ever written by them (hmmm…I still do that today). I still have (and keep in touch regularly – not just by FB) good friends from grade school days.  Now I want to be clear…I am pointing out my sense of loyalty here…not my sense of crazy! Keeping in touch with these dear friends of mine has given me a sense of belonging and keeps me grounded. These are the people who know not only who I am today…but where I came from…and they still love me (and I love them).

In high school, I was into the Canby Cougars (my high school) as much as I am into the Ducks today. In fact, I usually go back to attend at least one fall football game each season just to cheer on my alma mater, while watching KGW’s Friday Night Flights  throughout the autumn months to see the updated high school scores/highlights. I also have to admit that I don’t think I ever missed out wearing my Blue and Gold for Spirit Day on Fridays in High school either. AND YES…I still can sing my high school fight song!

Currently my “crazy” loyalty seems to grow from what I am involved in and where I spend my time. Loyalty to my family and my friends…without question.  I also am passionate about serving and using the gifts God has given me to grow and be a part of fabulous ministry opportunities.

I’m thankful that I am OK with being a “crazy” Duck Fan! As loyal as I am to Oregon though…I also have found it important to recognize others who share my loyalty value with the “other” team in Oregon. Orange and black has even recently made a home in my house…since Nathan’s decision to be a Beaver.  I’m OK with that…we can root on our teams together and stay true to who we are as individuals. Respect…honor…other values I hold on to as well.

So…when you see me sporting my team colors this fall…just remember…there is probably a little “crazy” in all of us! Take a few minutes to think…where and who is it that you are loyal to?

018

PS. Did you see that scoreboard?  Yes…it is 72 – 0!!!  Go DUCKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment