Friday, October 1, 2010

4th of July Festivities

4th of July 147

General Canby Day

Our annual trip to General Canby Day was marked by tradition! It’s just what we do on the 4th of July! Yep, we came by noon…eating at several of the booths with Thai food, yakisoba, elephant ear for dessert. We sat down at next to the park and watched the kiddos play, we chatted with friends and family that we “ran into” people we don’t see often enough…but those we just know we will meet every year at the same time because tradition runs deep with those from our town. After making another trip around Wait Park (getting those last minute eats/treats) we head north on Grant street, past my elementary school and towards the place that we always “park ourselves” for the parade.  After the parade we head back to my brother Craig’s house for the BBQ he and Sarah put on each year for the Pearson/Arzie families in addition to friends we invite to share the day with us! And then of course we end the day with fireworks at dark! A great day! A great tradition! I am sure we’ll be back next year!

This year I have to say it was FUN to include our friends Michael, Heidi, Olivia and Jack!  In fact, I told Heidi it was a little different driving into town this year. Our small town celebration felt a little small and hokey…as I drove in. Seeing it through the eyes of another person left me wondering how they were going to enjoy their day. However, I quickly realized that I’m all good with small and hokey…it’s our tradition…it’s our town and I love it! I am pretty sure they had a good time though!

4th of July 102  4th of July 108 Kiddos enjoying their turn to hang out in the Canby Fire Truck

4th of July 126 Nathan, Annie, Jack and Olivia gearing up to snag the candy thrown at the parade.4th of July 145Hanging out at the BBQ at Craig and Sarah’s! 4th of July 151  Before dessert, the kids recited the “Pledge of Allegiance.”

Awesome day! Awesome family! Awesome friends!

 Awesome tradition!

No comments:

Post a Comment